4KCBWDAY2 - You Want to do What?

So having thought long and hard about a pattern that would appeal to my monkey side; I have come to a decision.

Before I tell you what that is though, I'll walk you through the process. I started by thinking on particular construction techniques that I know of but haven't come across yet in my chosen projects:
  • contiguous sleeves
  • double knitting (there's a particular scarf I can't wait to have)
  • entrelac
  • thrumming (I realise that just coming into spring is completely the wrong time of year for this)
The list goes on much, much further than this I can assure you but my choice surprised me.

(c)MoniqueB
 I'm a self-confessed geek (although in fairness, not much confessing is needed - I ooze geek) so I was expecting to want to try out some brand new, shiny-out-the-box knitting technique but I couldn't be more wrong.  If I could only learn one more thing knitting wise, it would be Orenberg or Shetland lace knitting.  The detail and tradition held within each stitch pattern is immense.

My personal favourite is Shetland Bound by Monique Boonstra. It's amazing.  I have an amazing skein of cobweb weight in lime green and yellow that I doubt I will ever use that I'd like to think I would use for this. Although if I ever knit something as beautifully intricate as this, it's got to be in a natural yarn.  It's something that will stand the test of time and be passed up the family tree.  This project would test my knitty stamina in a way nothing else ever would and in hard times it would serve as a constant reminder that perseverance will always win through in the end but we may not be the same person we were to start with.

Comments

  1. That shawl is stunning! Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!! In my humble opinion lace always looks better in natural/uni colours. You're working so hard to make the open patterns, colours just might spoil the look or ritme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should go for it! The shawl, and the techniques, are really gorgeous and worth giving a try, you'd be surprised how something that's so simple to do with your hands can give you such intricate, awesome results!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts