Traitor!!! Heresy!!!

Over the year that I've been knitting, people have been gifting me their leftovers from projects half finished in years past.  I've had bits from my mum, my grandma, my mum-in-law-to-be and my nannas-in-law-to-be; I've had friends contribute too.  So as you can imagine, I now have quite a stash of bits and pieces. This has led me to stash busting on a huge scale. 

I separated all the balls of acrylic and the balls of wool then split the brighter colours from the naturals.  But what to knit with all this yarn?  Most of it is DK weight and the thought of knitting a blanket with this much yarn made my stomach curdle so after a brief search for a DK blanket on Ravelry, I extended my search to include crochet.  And I found The One.  Thanks must go to Lucy at Attic 24 for the free Granny Stripes pattern.  I'm making it for a double bed with a bit extra width so it falls over the edge of the bed on both sides and it's perfect for the yarn mountain I have to get through and it's mindless treble crochet (US - dc) clusters down each row.  Woo hoo!

I was motoring through the rows last night and I'm enjoying picking it up and putting it down as I made roast dinner this afternoon  to celebrate the immense day of sport that is today: last day of the Tour de France, German Grand Prix, the cricket and the British Open.  It really was the least stressful Sunday dinner ever made.

Anyway, back to the crocheting; this all got me thinking about the friendly (and sometimes not-so-friendly) rivalry between knitters and crocheters.  I really don't see the problem at all. I love the open texture of crochet and knitted lace.  I prefer wearing knitted lace but love the quick construction of the infamous granny square for home wares.  I prefer stockinette for sweaters or cardigans but love double crochet (sc) for creating toys and small decorations.  It's all about purpose for me; in the same way that I look for a frying pan rather than a saucepan for frying an egg, I look at knitting and crochet as tools to obtaining a required result rather than a team I must support regardless of the end result.


Comments

Popular Posts