The Simplest Things

I was inspired to blog again by a project that I have just started working on. I'd also like to thank the Yarn Harlot for her piece on heirloom knitting this week because I'm sure she was talking directly to me.

I've been staring at a cone of yarn I bought at Wonderwool pretty much constantly since April and wondering what on earth I was going to make with it.  It's 459m of a natural cream 30% BFL/70% Alpaca yarn I bought from UK Alpaca for the not-very-princely sum of £7. It's a DK weight yarn and it is heavenly.  If I really had to choose my yarn forever, this would be it. Its soft and lovely and sproingy. It has a lovely gentle halo and (having just checked) it comes in a range of colours too.

I felt the urge to knit a baby blanket/comforter with this ridiculously yummy yarn.  There are no mammoth babies on the horizon yet and none of my friends are expecting; I just fancied making something but not hats, scarves, gloves or socks.  So onto Ravelry I went.  I was looking for something lacy and complex; a real heirloom piece for this special yarn.  What I've ended up making couldn't be further from lacy and complex but I have a funny feeling that heirloom is exactly what it will become.

Oh yes, it's a garter stitch blanket knit on the bias and I love it.  All I've done is put a yarn over after the first stitch of the round and knit the rest of the row. Simple. Given my plans for the weekend - watching films with Himself - it seems like the perfect project.

Comments

Popular Posts