Bonfire Night & Holidays

Fireworks at the Rugby Club :)
 It's heaven on earth at Mammoth Towers at the moment.  Both Himself and I are on holiday from work (hip, hip...) and it all started with one of our favourite nights of the year - Bonfire Night.

For all non UK readers, this is the fifth of November and across the country we all build bonfires, set off fireworks and shove a "Guy" on the bonfire.  This is to forever commemorate the foiling of a plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament and King James I,  led by Robert Catesby in a revolt against the unrelenting persecution of Catholics in Britain.  This became known as the Gunpowder Plot.  Other people were involved, most notably one Guy Fawkes who was caught guarding the gunpowder at around midnight of the 4th November.  Those involved were arrested and tried with treason for their part in the scheme and were sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered - a very grisly end.  An Act of Parliament in 1606 called for an annual thanksgiving for the failure of the Gunpowder Plot.  People lit bonfires and later set off fireworks and although the Act was eventually repealed in the 19th century, the tradition has held fast.

On more cheery matters, I have been on holiday and so have had much more time for knitting.  Happy happy joy.  Finished projects include: a green hat, a pair of vanilla socks and the Twisted Personality Cowl which I really must photograph.  New starts include a pink and purple "Beyond Puerperium" cardigan and a pair of 2luvcrew socks. 
Today, we went into the Big Smoke.  We visited the V&A Museum and saw the Hollywood Costumes exhibit (if you get the chance go, really worthwhile) and the Ballgowns exhibit as well as a wander around the European, Japanese and Arabic sections of the museum.  I love it there and there's always something that inspires you each time you go.  It amazes me and makes me very proud in some strange way that entry is free although I always donate when I go (really, I do).

We also went to Hamley's.  It's a toy shop in London that has 5 whole floors dedicated to toys of all shapes and sizes.  I felt about 5 years old walking around; I was so excited.  I can't tell you what was bought as it's too near to Christmas (47 days left) and Santa will put me on the naughty list if I divulge.

Comments

Popular Posts