Long Overdue Catch Up

As a warning, this is likely to turn into a picture-heavy post as I've been remarkably busy and I have quite a bit to share.

I did finish my Citron Shawl pretty quickly but this coincided with a quiet period on the blog so I didn't post a final picture.  I like it but I'm not in love with it.  I like how it feels but I don't catch myself stroking it; I like the colourway but could live without it too.  I know you know what I mean.  Uninspiring finish to the project in my eyes.  It's a real shame.  I may even auction it off so it goes to a home where it's loved and raise money for a charity close to my heart.  If I do, it'll be for the Ducklings Trust at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.  They provide a whole range of support for the maternity unit there; including clothing for premature and stillborn babies.  Because of them and their very kind knitters, my little girl Hope had a jumper that fit her event though she was born sleeping at 23 weeks.


I also managed to finish my Silk Twist Abalone cardigan.  It looked a tad short once I'd cast off but now it's been blocked it's a bit more promising.  I haven't tried it on as its still a bit damp.  So its a case of wait and see.

I also cast on a hat for Himself as it's starting to feel a little chilly here in Blighty.  It's made from Colinette Jitterbug (old 100g skein) in Copperbeech and used about half a skein.  It's a plain old stockinette beanie but it's what he wanted in a hat.  I was surprised by the colours in the yarn; what I thought was a plain old brown/red yarn was in fact an amazing mixture of all kinds of blues greens reds and browns.  I should have known better as I'm more than a little familiar with Colinette colourways.
 


In other finished projects, Eva has a new hoodie.  I knit it out of a small bit of my remaining Felted Tweed Aran from my Nagaransett jumper.  It took me all of about 2 hours to knit and finish.  It looks really sweet and the back of the hood sticks up a bit like an elf's hood.

I am coveting a tea set.  Oh yes, a tea set.  It's by Portmeirion and it's called Dawn Chorus.  It's a bit ditsy and cutesy and very unlike me if I'm honest but I love it.  If I'm very good for the next two months, I may get it from Santa...  Here's hoping.  That or a Schacht Ladybug. (If I'm honest I'd prefer the spinning wheel.  I'd get more use from it.)

I have also been busy on the spinning front.  I have finally completed the 100g of Wensleydale that I bought just after New Year.  I love it.  I'm not sure what is to be made with it, although a hat is what is calling to me currently.  


I have bought another spindle and more fibre from Katie at HilltopCloud on Etsy.  It was a kit from her that got me started spinning and one of her focuses is on lesser known British sheep breeds which for British Wool Week I thought was a good enough excuse to indulge.  The fibre I have bought is Southdown wool.  It's lofty and lucious and I'm planning to spin for a heavier weight yarn this time.  I think a hat will be emerging from this too as Himself's mum has found a pattern for a polar bear hat...


Like a patient visiting their doctor, I've left the most important until last.  I have written and typed up my first pattern.  It's a cowl called 'Split Personality' and it has easy colourwork, cables and bigger twists up it's sleeve (if cowls had sleeves).  I'm very proud of myself for this but I'm just finishing off knitting it up to take pictures for these to go on the pattern and on Ravelry.  I'm expecting to have it completely finished by this time next week so watch this space.  In the meantime, I'm sharing a little sneak peek at an incy part of the finished object.

Comments

Popular Posts