Wonderwool!!

So I promised a round up of Wonderwool?  I really don't know where to start with this one.  There was so much to take in - hundreds of stalls, hundreds of people, tons of cake, oceans of tea & coffee and millions of skeins of yarn (maybe not quite that many but a whole heap of the stuff).

Himself's mum and I wandered around for the whole day, mostly trying to keep calm enough to stay methodical in our path around and mostly succeeding. Hysteria did creep in after about the first ten minutes after realising exactly how big the show was and then died down a bit as we came to terms with the amount of wandering that was needed to get around everything in one day.  We came across this fellow (see left) near the entrance in a gallery of felted artwork.  Another highlight was the girl's face on blue felt and the Miro-style person on grey felt.

There was lots of routing through stalls and chatting to anyone that would give us time - there were quite a few and I won't list them all here. It would make for very boring reading although I did see Susan Crawford at one stall where she had been signing books.  I wasn't brave enough to go and say hello.

I met some really lovely creatures also - a couple of alpaca at the Toft Alpaca stall (one even posed for a picture) and a lot of sheep (I have lots of pictures of them, but I can;t help but feel that there's no need to include all my pictures from the day).

 I couldn't help but be inspired by the non-knitted items scattered around the show.  I saw needle felting and some things just made of fibre. There were lots of needle feted critters around; my personal favourite was a fox which I don't have a picture of so have a rabbit instead.  I saw lots of fibre angels too.

I have a little gripe about the day and I'm pretty confident when I say that others had the same one.  I had to queue once for cake and again for tea... Enough said.

I was more restrained that I though I would be when it came to shopping.  I don't know if this was caused by being overwhelmed by the size of the show or whether it was more out of sympathy for my bank balance.  I bought 5 skeins of yarn, 200g fibre, 4 sets of DPNs and buttons.  The five skeins of yarn included a skein of Bunnylace in Orangeboom (orange sherbet colour) from Yarnscape, a skein of Arancunia Botany Lace and a skein of Dragonfly Cobweb Lace in Daffodil (think lemon yellow and lime green; I'm such a sucker for brights) from Krafty Koala.  In the main, I have no idea what I am going to produce with these yarns and fibre but hey, it doesn't matter at all.  They're soft enough to cuddle and that's what I've been doing since I got them home on Sunday.

After showing the show pictures to Himself, he has commissioned a future project for a future Easter boat race from me.  A Viking helmet and beard combo like the one in the picture to the left.  I told him that I would see about knitting it for him.  See future posts for further details (if I remember).

All in all, a very, very good knitting day.




Comments

Popular Posts